A couple week's back I shared with you my Makeup Organization post, where I decided to ditch my vanity for good ol' makeup application in the bathroom. Well, that vanity has now been re-purposed as my desk, and since I haven't bought a chair for it, the vanity stool that came with it is all I have for my bum to rest on.
But as you can see, it was in desperate need of a makeover!You can't really tell from the picture below, but the ivory colored fabric was all worn and stained from...you guessed it, makeup. Even if it was in perfect condition, the fabric wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wanted to give it a fresh modern feel and reupholstering it was an easy way to accomplish that.
I've only reupholstered two chairs before this and let me tell you, it really is so easy. Especially when working with simple shapes like this squared stool.
Here is what I did:
1. First I had to remove all the screws that connected the vanity seat from the frame. There were only 8 of them so this went by fairly quickly...
Here is the seat next to the fabric I chose to use...and yes, it's the same "fabric" (actually a napkin) I used on my No Sew Pillow Covers. I had two napkins left and since I am so loving the design, I decided to use what I had instead of waiting to visit the fabric store (which I live 1 hour away from!)
2. I laid my fabric right side down and the vanity seat centered on top of it (right side up, too). As you can see the size of this napkin (20 X 20) is just enough to get the job done!
3. I always start by stapling the middle section of one side first..
4. Then I pulled in a corner tightly like so...
5. And I simply staple that corner I just pulled inward.
6. Next, I pulled in and stapled the loose fabric next to the corner I just stapled..
7. And I did the same to the other side (I must have stapled the other side first without taking the picture so it looks like I am still working on the same side as pictured above..but you get the picture.)
8. I repeated these steps to the other three sides and I was all done!
Here's what the back looks like:
Then I just attached it back to the frame and it was ready to be admired! Here it is by my desk waiting for me to get some work done.
Although, Lily has claimed it as her own!
The before & after one more time...
Such a huge difference for a 15 minute project that cost me $0 since I used what I had on hand!
I'm so happy my vanity stool is now up to date and hip! Awesome and resourceful!
Will be partying it up here:
MONDAY: I Should Be Mopping The Floor, TUESDAY: Coastal Charm, Not Just A Housewife, Blooming Homestead, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Clean and Scentsible.Housewife How To's WEDNESDAY: DIY Crafty Projects, My Girlish Whims. THURSDAY: House of Hepworths, Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Somewhat Simple. FRIDAY: Dear Creatives, The Best Blog Recipes, Diana Rambles, Chic On A Shoestring. SATURDAY: The Gingerbread Blog, Or So She Says (One She Two She), While He Was Napping, Sassy Little Lady. SUNDAY: Life On Lakeshore Drive